I sent this to Roxio:
I just purchased and downloaded Roxio Creator 2011. Last year I purchased Roxio Creator 2010.
There are some fundamental things that I’m amazed you guys still get wrong. These are really basic:
1. Autosave — when working on a project it’s easy to become very involved and forget to save. And then VideoWave goes into la-la land (again) and everything is lost. The system should autosave and give me the option of how frequently.
2. File storage — there are no options for where files are saved. The defaults are preset–one place for the .dmsm files, and rendered videos in another. C’mon, guys! Let me keep all my project files in a directory of my choosing without having to pick the path every stinkin’ time I save! I can’t tell you how many times I initiate rendering and then can’t find the rendered file! Please allow me to keep my project files together.
3. Render options — you offer “simplified” options–such as for the iPad or whatever. Yet the only way to find the actual file extension is by rendering! If I want a file that’s .m4p and is 720i, then let me select those options, rather than having to render several different ways to see what comes out! It would be so easy to fix this by putting the file type in parentheses after the option. If you think doing this would confuse neophytes, then make it an option!
4. Stability — I use Windows 7 and I can count on VideoWave crashing several times during a session. Tonight the first crash occurred when I tried to copy a text effect to another place in the production so I could keep all the formatting. It’s absurd how much the product crashes. You’ve got a good name and I like to tell people I use VideoWave to create my productions, but I will tell you if I could find a comparably priced alternative that was more stable I’d switch.
5. SmartSound — Hey! What happened to the music that came with last year’s Roxio Creator? It all disappeared. I paid for it, I’d like to keep using it. Don’t take away from me things I think I own, like last year’s SmartSound files. There was nothing in the EULA that said I was just renting them.
6. Text — When I add a text effect, it seems as though every single word is its own object. Trying to get all the text to format the same way involves endlessly picking a bit here and a bit there. Be like all other text processing systems–if I pick the frame, then I really mean I want *all* the text in the frame to be changed together. This seems so simple! This evening I tried to put a translucent box behind the text, yet VideoWave *insisted* that each row of text get its own box! And how about some text pre-sets so I can set my own default, usually white text–why do I always have to start with black?
7. Creating some little modules — I start nearly every video with a black background and my website in white. Yet I have to re-create this effect each and every time I use it. Why can’t I just store it and drag it onto the timeline?
I’ve been in and around computers and IT for the last 30 years. I think I have a pretty good feel for what’s “normal.” You have a stunningly good video editing system, yet you trip over the CS-101 stuff. How about a fix?
P.S. Even considering the functionality, a download that’s greater than a GB seems excessive. Are you sure there isn’t some dead code in there somewhere?
BTW, I’m posting this on my blog in the hopes others will see it and suggest the same thing to you.
[Update Nov 2012: I use CyberLink PowerDirector 11 for my videos now.]