Setting up WSJT-X for the Yaesu FTdx3000

I received an inquiry from Darryl, VK3DAZ (Australia), asking about interfacing the popular JT65 program WSJT-X with the Yaesu FTdx3000. I’ve been able to make my ‘3000 work directly with WSJT-X as a standalone, or with Ham Radio Deluxe (HRD) in the background as a rig controller. This post shows how I do it directly with WSJT-X.

First, of course, is to make sure that the computer and the ‘3000 are talking properly. If they do for HRD, then the same COM setting should work for WSJT-X. Be sure to use the “enhanced” COM port (note this is true even if you are using the USB attachment to the radio). If you have trouble setting up the ‘3000’s internal soundcard, take a look at this site here for an excellent explanation.

Second, make sure you’re using the latest version of WSJT-X. As of today, it’s v1.5. You can download it by clicking here.

The following screen is the Radio Setup page, reached by clicking File, then Settings, then choosing the Radio screen. I will go through each detail.

Radio setup screen for WSJT-X v 1.5. Note that since the FTdx3000 is not one of the listed radios, we're going to modify the settings for the FTdx5000. See text for detailed explanations, because some of the settings require corresponding settings in the FTdx3000's menu.

Radio setup screen for WSJT-X v 1.5. Note that since the FTdx3000 is not one of the listed radios, we’re going to modify the settings for the FTdx5000. See text for detailed explanations, because some of the settings require corresponding settings in the FTdx3000’s menu.

• For rig, choose FT-DX5000, because the FTdx3000 is not listed. Leave the Poll Interval at 1 sec unless you have strong reason to change it.
  • Under CAT Control, select the serial port that is the “enhanced” port. Note this is true even if you’re using the USB cable (which I am).
  • Choose a baud rate for communications between the computer and the ‘3000. NOTE THAT this must match the setting in MENU 038 CAT RATE. I use 38,400, the max rate the ‘3000 will accept.
  • Set Data Bits to Eight and Stop Bits to Two. Set Handshake to None.
  • Check the box for Force Control Lines and check the box for RTS. NOTE THAT this must match the setting in MENU 040 CAT RTS, which must be set to ENABLE
  • In the next column, under PTT method, select CAT.
  • The Transmit Audio Source is grayed out
  • Under Mode, select Data/Pkt. NOTE THAT you must place the rig into the DATA USB mode. I have this set up in one of the band-stacking registers. WSJT-X will not select the correct register, so be sure to select which register prior to using WSJT-X.
  • I have Split Operation set to None. You can consult the WSJT-X online manual for more information.
  • When you’re ready, click on the Test CAT button. If WSJT-X is satisfied, the button will turn green. Select the Test PTT button. Your transceiver should go into transmit mode, but no data will be transmitted.
  • Click OK and you’re done!

If you would like to set levels, on the main screen you can select the Tune button. That will put the transceiver into transmit mode and also send a signal. You can set up your transceiver with this. Speech processing should be turned off, the Mic Gain should be set so that the rig does not go into ALC, mic equalization (MIC EQ) shoul.d be set to OFF, digital noise reduction (DNR) should be set to OFF, the digital notch filter (DNF) should be set to OFF, and you need to back the power off to something like 25 watts. After that, have fun!

Note that the ‘3000 has only a 2400 Hz bandwidth when in the data mode. That’s unfortunate, as WSJT-X can handle bandwidths up to 4 kHz or more.

This entry was posted in Ham Radio blog entries and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Setting up WSJT-X for the Yaesu FTdx3000

1. Walter J Stauffer says:

I am an old-timer who is now getting involved in digital. Several of my friends are now using WSJT-X. I have down loaded it and have trouble setting it up. I have a Yaesu FT-897D connected to a Windows 10 computer through a SignaLink USB on com3. Xceiver control by Flrig on com1. I receive fine but can’t transmit. Can you help a digital dummy set it up.

2. David Casler says:

Ideally, the ALC should be out of the circuit if possible. You can do this by keeping your power down. On some rigs, though, when you turn ALC all the way down, there’s no power left! It depends on your rig. Note that FT8 is not a phase-sensitive mode, so a bit of distortion is not so much of an issue.

3. David says:

Thanks for the tips, Dave. Made getting set up very easy.
    One question about xmit level – I have power set on WSJT-X so that when transmitting, the level shows about mid-range on the bold portion of the ALC meter. Is that what you meant by “not go into ALC” ? Any reduction of the power setting from this and I get no meter deflection at all.

4. David Casler says:

There’s a file ending in .ADI which is the log that FT8 makes. You can import this file into most logging programs.

5. Gary McKelvie says:

Hi Dave, great page !
    Just so you know these setting also work with the latest version.
    It’s had me flummoxed till I read this page, just couldn’t get this to work.
    So thanks to you I’m now able to use FT8 on hf.
    I’m just going to use it as a stand alone program.
    Just one question how do you export the log from this program to load into other logbooks?

Gary GM7USC

6. Ed says:

In my case I use a SignaLink USB as my sound card and use the same settings with all needed software. HRD/DM780 v5.24 and DigiPan have both RX and TX with data; only WSJT-X does not have data on TX. I upgraded to WSJT-X v1.8.0 this morning… no change. I’ll keep working with it.
    73,
    Ed – ad7gr

7. David Casler says:

It sounds like a setup problem with the soundcard. In WSPR you have the correct soundcard selected. Perhaps in WSJT-X the wrong soundcard is selected for outgoing (speaker) audio. Setup problems can be frustrating! Keep trying. 73

8. Ed says:

I am using the latest WSJT-X with my FT-dx1200… In my case I have tried FT-5000 and FT-950 which works well with WSPR 2.0. I have communication and control… receive is okay but when the rig goes into transmit mode, no data is transmitted… power out is zero.
    When using WSPR 2.0 by K1JT, which has the same station parameters entered data is transmitted.
    Any help for this?
    Thanks,
    Ed – ad7gr

9. alan shapiro says:

Hi Linda,
    Did you solve the communication issue with 817 to WSJT-x?
    I have the same problem and haven’t found the answer.
    Alan, NM5s
    Santa Fe, NM

10. jeff says:

I just received a new 817nd – the 817 rig control setting wouldn’t work for me either, so I tried the 897 setting, which is newer, and it worked! The 817 has been in production now for 16 years or so, and there have indeed been some code changes. Hope this helps!
    Jeff KN8A

11. Dave says:

Hi Linda, sorry to hear about your bad experience. There are many settings that could be causing what you’re looking at. First among them is to make sure that WSJT-X is looking at the correct soundcard. It’ll show up as “USB Audio Codec” or something like that. It has to be set both for the send and receive side in the WSJT-X settings. Note that if your only connection between the computer and the rig is the SignaLink interface, you won’t be able to control the rig from WSJT-X. However, if you set up the SignaLink right, it will cause the transmitter to key up at the right time. I’ve noticed on my Windows 10 computer that I often have to remind WSJT-X to use the correct soundcard. Note also that the ARRL has a technical information service that can pair you up with someone who’s an expert to get you going. See http://www.arrl.org. Good luck–I know getting it to work for the first time can be very frustrating. 73, Dave

12. Linda Wilson says:

Do you happen to know where I can find the settings for a Yaesu ft-817nd radio to run wsjt-x? I have been trying for 2 months to run jt-65. Get rig control failure window and have nothing being decoded on the computer. I have a signalink interface.
    Please help, I have no one to ask for help.
    Linda